Tuesday 21 October 2008

Debz Hobbs-Wyatt














What inspired you to write "Jigsaw"?
I had just completed the first draft of my third novel, 'The Reluctant Clairvoyant', when the idea for 'Jigsaw' came to me. It was actually one of those when you sit down and type a first line. Since it is in the first person and from the point of view of a child it is not my usual type of writing, but it was as if the child's voice spoke through me and before I knew it, I had a short story on paper!

What other material do your normally write?
I have written a fair number of short stories but I mainly concentrate on my novel writing these days. My first novel may never see the light of day, my second novel Colourblind is with agents and the feedback has been encouraging. The third is a work in progress. I guess you could call it paranormal psychological fiction for adults, although I like to think it has a heart and my stories will change the way you think!

What made you become a writer?
I have been writing since I was a child. I think when you're young you're more in touch with your spirit and choices that you made for yourself in this lifetime (or I would like to think that's true.) I was obsessed with books as I grew up and wrote my first novel when I was nine! Okay so it was a Famous Five rip-off but come on, I was young! So even back then I was waiting for the postman to bring me a letter to say they'd publish it. They didn't of course but they encouraged me! Science got in the way for a number of years and the creative stuff took a back seat but it was always there. I was always going places and saying- hey one day I'll put this in a novel. It was like that for The Reluctant Clairvoyant inspired by a trip to Alcatraz 8 years ago when I discovered that civilian families lived there. Five years ago I started to write compulsively and now it is my obsession! Since I lost my partner, Lee three years ago, at the tender age of 32, writing became my therapy. It still is. Now I want to give everything else up to write. Work gets in the way! But it pays the bills! Still, I won't give up! I consider that I am now serving my apprenticeship and have recently started my MA in Creative Writing to that end. Dreams come true if you believe!

Which writers do you admire?
Stephen KingJodi PicoultLionel ShiverDean Koontz Loads!

Tell us something about your writing routine.
I get up at 5 am, read for an hour (as you can't be a good writer of you don't read as much as you can, by a range of authors!) Then I write for an hour. I work full time and try to write when no one can see my computer screen! I imagine its like sitting in front of a piano and not being allowed to use certain keys! So frustrating when all you want to do is write! I hate work!!!! In the evening I write for three hours. At weekends I try to have a day off although I am usually at a critique group talking about writing! The other day I try to clock up 6 - 8 hours.

Do you have a favourite place for writing?
I can write anywhere but I tend to sit on my bed with my laptop with the window in front of me so I can see the mountains of Snowdonia and the birds on the feeders! My two little cats (my saviours!) are usually at my side diving on my toes if they move and trying to plonk themselves onto the keyboard as only cats can!!! But they are the best company!

No comments: